Sunday, February 21, 2010

Valverde impressing already and not just with his arm..

I was reading a few blogs and MLB headlines and tid bits yesterday and I came across an article about our new closer Jose Valverde one of the most dominate closers of the last few years (when he's healthy). It said from the time he arrived yesterday from the Dominican he has already started joking with the guys and talking to his fellow Dominicans and feeling loose and feeling good already like he fits in. He took the mound yesterday and it just seemed like after seeing him hit the high 90's and having control of it and then dropping his off speed stuff in there for a strike that we mighta hit a home run with this signing we got something we have been missing for a long time!, and thats a dominate closer with that nasty heat and the off speed junk to compliment it. For the first time in a long time I feel safe handing the ball over to our closer with a 1 run lead and 2 outs and 2 men on and facing one of the leagues better hitters at the plate. But on a semi non related baseball note I guess you can call it, after he arrived in Lakeland he was listed on the Roster as #46 that soon changed as everyone well knows he has worn #47 his whole career but since no one has worn that number since Jack Morris he opted to go with #74, he said he feels really good this season and that he feels like he could possibly save 74 games this year, I LOVE that kinda attitude, and then in the next breathe he said if he can't save 74 he will definitly break our club record of saves. But what I am getting at here is not even a member of the Tigers for a day he understands the tradition of what number an old great Tiger had worn, Kudos to you Jose. And on my closing note lets just hope his number change doesnt match the last closer we had that wore that number, can you name that Tiger?

3 comments:

  1. HAHA Uggie Urbina!
    Also, spring training 2001, JB wore #74.

    I think the addition of Valverde could be great ... if we have a lead to hold! I am so worried about our offense at this point that I thought the signing of Valverde was unreasonable unless there is a chance he gets dealt at the deadline. Hopefully I am wrong and all the pieces come together that need to for this to work for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will even go 1 step further and I will throw another famouse #74 @ you! Last spring Ryan Perry wore #74 before he switched over to his #45.

    ReplyDelete