Monday, February 22, 2010

The big question .... what number will Johnny wear?

Since coming into the league in 1995 Johnny Damon has wore #18 every year except 2! In his rookie year 1995 he wore #51 as Joe Randa wore #18 (in case you were curious, Vince Coleman wore #29 that year for the Royals, LOL) and in 2001, he wore #8 with the A's but ... noone else was 18 and that number was not retired. So, that made me think Did Johnny really want #8? I looked back at the rosters he was on and found out that he couldn't have worn #8 anywhere he has been. When he got to KC, Gary Gaetti was #8, the next year he could have taken it but, why switch your number. In Oakland he DID wear 8. In Boston, that retired number 8 belongs to Yaz and in NY #8 is Yogi Berra's and noone elses!

So .... is Johnny gonna wear the open #18 or is he gonna fight Gerald Laird for it? Gerry is not afraid of a brawl haha! OK, it is gonna probably be 18 but, it was fun to think about!

PS, the last #18 on a Tigers Jersey belonged to Heath Murray in 2001 ..... who????

3 comments:

  1. Iam gonna do one better for ya on the last Tiger to wear the #18 it was our third base coach back in 2004 Mick Kellher! lol sorry had to break it out! I agree I see him totally wearing #18 thats pretty much the only # he has ever worn and I dont see Laird giving him #8 to him so my guess he sticks with #18, So go ahead and start mass producing those jerseys and tee's. The next question I have is does Johnny grow the Jesus beard back now that he doesnt have a facial hair policy anymore??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops how can I forget about good ole Andy Van Slyke? lol I know these are just coaches but they still count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah .... I forgot about the coaches LOL and I vote yes on the beard

    ReplyDelete