Thursday, February 18, 2010

Detroit Tigers All-Time Greats by number

As a kid did you ever sit at Old Tiger Stadium or Comerica Park and see your Tiger and what number he wore you ever wonder how or why he chose that number? Or you see a player they just aquuired and you notice what number he chose or what number chose him? You have seen that number probably a hand full of times on either a Tiger great or a Tiger bust. So after months of wondering what numbers these new acquisitions where gonna choose we finally can relax and put a number to a face, and I just cant help but think of all the greats that played here and what numbers they had worn , so after alot of research I had put together my own personal list of Tiger greats by number(not all are GREATS but had to fill in numbers with what I had too).


#1 - LOU WHITAKER
#2 - CHARLIE GEHRINGER
#3 - ALAN TRAMMELL
#4 - TONY PHILLIPS
#5 - HANK GREENBERG
#6- AL KALINE
#7- PUDGE RODRIGUEZ
# 8- RON LEFLORE
#10- RUSTY STAUB
#11- BILL FREEHAN
#12- BRAD AUSMUS
#13- LANCE PARRISH
#14- PLACIDO POLANCO
#15- BRANDON INGE
#16- TOMMY BROOKENS
#17 - DENNY MCCLAIN
#18- JON HILLER
#19- DOYLE ALEXANDER
#20- MARK FIDERYCH
#21- GEORGE KELL
#22- JUSTIN THOMPSON
#23- KIRK GIBSON
#24- MIGUEL CABRERA
#25- NORM CASH
#26- FRANK TANANNA
#27- CRAIG MONROE
#28- CURTIS GRANDERSON
#29- NICKEY LOLICH
#30 MAGGLIO ORDONEZ
#31- LARRY HERNDON
#32- JAMIE WALKER
#33- MATT NOKES
#34- CHESTER LEMON
#35- JUSTIN VERLANDER
#36- JEFF WEAVER
#37- KENNY ROGERS
#38- JEREMY BONDERMAN
#39- MIKE HENEMAN
#40- FRANK BOLLING
#41- DARRELL EVANS
#42- JOSE LIMA
#43- FRANCISCO CORDERO
#44- JUAN BERENGUAR
#45- CECIL FIELDER
#46- DAN PETRY
#47- JACK MORRIS
#48-RICK PORCELLO
#49- MICKEY STANLEY
#50- ANDREW MILLER
#51-
#52- CHAD DURBIN
#53-
#54- JOEL ZUMAYA
#55- MARK REDMAN
#56- FERNANDO RODNEY
#57- CASPER WELLS
#58- ARMANDO GALARAGA
#59- TODD JONES
#60- WILKIN RAMIREZ


This was very hard to choose just 1 player per number I know I left alot of guys who where well deserving and a few whose number is retired but i wasnt around to see those guys plays I just remember seeing Tommy Brookens and Gibby I dont really remember seeing Willie Horton and I never got to see Hal Newhouser play either even though had always heard stories about both of them I had to go with what I knew. Good luck this season boys and lets RESTORE THE ROAR IN MOTOWN this year!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome, I forgot about a lot of those guys. It's hard to leave Eric Davis out of the 33, even with my man love for Matt Nokes :)Tim Belcher #41, LIMA TIME #32, yes the Bird with #20 but, Mickey Tettleton was a bad ass! Travis Fryman #24 deserves at least a 2nd team :) Did you know that when Gibby was gone in 1990 Dan Petry wore his number 23? And my brotha Rod Allen #12 .... haha this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very tough list I coulda thrown Sparky on there for #11 as well and Fryman was pretty much a tie with Miggy for #24. I coulda went with either HoJo or Fruit Loops for the #20 as well. Rod Allen would have to be the best tiger to ever sport the #12. I coulda went with Milt Cuyler with #22 or I could went with Horton with #23 too. And you will soon see Austin Jackson replace Polly for the best #14 ever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And you will soon see Austin Jackson replace Polly for the best #14 ever..."

    oooohhhhh big words could have been straight from the mouth of Sparky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After more research and digging I have found someone who actually wore #51 for us I wouldnt say he was a great but he wore the number lol it was Steve Colyer and Robert Novoa and i'll even go further and say I found someone who wore the #53 also Sean Douglass.

    Oh and dont forget Verlander didnt always wear the #35 either! As a rookie he wore #59...Weird cant see him wearing any number but #35 but you gotta wear what they give ya when youre a rookie

    ReplyDelete