Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tigers make a handful of minor moves

OK, I disappeared for a minute ... but, don't worry me (I believe I am my only reader), I am baaaacccckkkk!!
OK, The MoTown Kittys have made a couple of moves that may be worth talking about. After "The Trade", I was expecting to see another money saving deal but ... not so much!

Move #1
Dusty Ryan traded to the San Fransisco Giants for a ptbnl or cash

Bye Bye, Dusty Ryan! I am a fan of Dusty, not as a starter or as an impact player but, as a backup and a "homegrown talent". I know we all miss the days of Lou, Tram, Gibby, Lance, Jack & Petry but, having a guy move through our system and be a player on the major league roster seems to be a thing of the past. I was kind of hoping that Dusty could hang around for a bit. I know we now have a surplus of catching and Dusty wasn't a great prospect so, someone had to go! Dusty came up for a cup of coffee in 2008 & 2009. In 2008 he turned a few heads while batting .318 with 2 HR in 44 at bats but, he followed that up with a .154 average in 2009 in only 30 ABs. The idea was to let him have a little more time in AAA. After hitting .266 with 17 HRs between AA & AAA in 2008, Dusty followed up with .257 and 10 HRs in AAA for the 2009 season.

Move #2
Freddy Dolsi claimed off waivers by the Chicago White Sox.

Maybe Freddy's 3.55 ERA was a little misleading but, I just do not understand letting him go at this point. I understand that after "The Trade", we needed to make room for players but, there are other people that will NOT be part of the Tigers plans for 2010 that also would not be claimed. Freddy came up in 2008 and had a respectable 3.97 ERA in 47 2/3 IP. HE walked a couple too many and didn't strike out enough but, he was decent! Our bullpen is going to have Dontrelle Willis for the love of God! Freddy pitched in Toledo this year where he managed a 3.83 ERA. I know he is not the next coming of Mike Henneman but, he was definitely worth attempting to hold on to.

Move #3
Clay Rapada traded to the Texas Rangers for a ptbnl and cash

I always like Clay Rapada. I guess I was hopin he would turn into one of those side arming lefties that give the Tigers so much trouble but, it just never happened. Clay has manages a 5.00 ERA for the Tigers in 27 innings while giving up 26 hits and 18 walks while striking out 21. Clays ERA has been right around 2.50 with Toledo the last couple of years. I think he is a guy with potential but, we seem to have an awful lot of these mediocre guys.

Move #4
Tigers sign LHP Brad Thomas

OK, let the confusion begin. Why would we deal away 1 mediocre LHP just so we can go out and spend $1 million on another one that has not even been good enough to pitch in America (he has been pitching in Korea where he was 5-11 with 44 saves and 2.86 ERA)? I don't know is the proper answer. Thomas has a career ERA in the Majors of 16.88 and a minor league ERA of 4.01. Oh yeah ... and as he has moved up through the minor league ranks, over the last 10 years (yup ... 10), his ERA has gotten progressively worse. I guess if you got a feeling that a guy is starting to get it ... great! But, at $1 million? I don't see the sense in this move

Move #5
Tigers sign Enrique Gonzalez

Enrique Gonzalez' career MLB numbers look like this; 4-7, 5.93 ERA, 27 G, 18 GS, 127 IP, 122 H, 67 K, 37 BB. In his 10 year minor league career he was 68-66 with a 3.93 ERA and everything else is real similar, ratio wise. OK, bring in competition, that is fine or even bring in someone to fill out Toledo's rotation but .... we probably will not see this guy!

Move #6
Tigers sign Phil Dumatrait

Dumatrait, the #22 pick in the 2000 draft by the Boston Red Sox, has been kind of a minor league bad ass! He underwent Tommy John surgery in 2004 and another surgery in 2008. Each surgery has kind of knocked down his bad-ass-ness! In 8 minor league seasons, Phil has a combined 3.37 ERA in 132 games (127 starts). He also has a 4.1 BB/9 and 7.0 K/9 average. As far as being a MLB pitcher .... well ... a combined 7.06 ERA, including a 6.92 last season. OK, again, I am not seeing where this is headed. Another below average player. My hopes are that this is just a move for depth (hopefully in Toledo) and we'll NOT see him in a Tiger uniform, unless he miraculously gets back to old form.

Move #7
Tigers sign Andrew Bouchie

Bouchie, a 7th round pick by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2006, appears to be a signing to build minor league catching depth. In 3 minor league seasons, Andrew has a .224 with 18 HR in 868 at bats. In 2009, Bouchie played for the Long Beach Armada in the Independant League, where he hit .290 with 7 Hr and 43 RBI in just under 250 at bats. Not a bad stat line in LB but, this is a guy who has never played above high A ball! So, I wish him luck .... I'm just sayin.....

No comments:

Post a Comment